Research - Copyright and Privacy in Photography

    In exploring the topic of photography, I’ve always wondered what were the “rules” and guidelines I should follow legally. Through research I was able to answer some of the questions I’ve had in the past. 

Who owns my photographs, especially when another person is in the image? - I own the rights to my photographs, unless photographed under employment. I can therefore do whatever I please with my photographs. Although, if distributing a photograph of an other individual, I should receive consent to distribute their image before doing so. 

Do I need consent to photograph a person for personal photography purposes? - No, for personal photography consent is not required to capture a photograph. 

How long does copyright for my photographs last? - As a general rule, copyright for my photographs will last 50 years after I die. 

If a company’s logo appears in my photograph, is that problematic? - No, the chance of copyright infringement are extremely low.

Comments