Research - Expired Film VS. New Film


When attempting to source film for class at a cheaper price, my dad offered me his expired film that dates back to between 4 to 10 years. The container said that the film was ISO 125 but after developing the film, I found that it was actually ISO 400. This film was stored in a dark drawer in our basement.
   
When comparing the new and the expired film over a light table, the expired film has noticeable fogging. It is not very noticeable in the photographs of the film that are present in this post. I found it interesting that although the film wasn’t shot at the correct grayscale certain images are very clear and have a good amount of contrast. I also found it interesting that despite the fogging, certain images were still very readable.

Expired Film

New Film

Comments